|Your travel partner S.S.T Tourism to your Destinations / Attractions||
A true wonder of the world, Shwedagon Pagoda is the center of Myanmar Buddhism. Built over 2500 years ago by King Okkalapa, it has been added to over the centuries. It stands at a towering 100m above the green cityscape of Yangon. It is surrounded by many donated Buddha images, ornate structures, and tile walkways where the faithful and curious alike come to marvel at its magnificence.
This shine is beautiful placed in the centre of the city- Yangon. It remains the tallest building in the downtown area. It was built about 2200 years ago. It is 157 feet high. It can be called an oasis of peace in the heart of the busy modern Yangon.
Kaba Aye Pagoda in Yangon was built to commemorate the sixth Buddhist Synod in 1954. This pagoda's meaning is World Peace.
Maha Pasana Guha( Great Cave )
It was specially built to hold the sixth Buddhist Great Synod. It is supposed to resemble India's Satta Panni Cave where the First Buddhist Synod took place shortly after the Buddha's death. It is 455 feet long and 370 feet broad and it has an assembly hall which can contain up to 10000 people. This artificially built cave lies in the vicinity of Kaba Aye.
Chauk Htat Kyee Reclining Buddha Image
A reclining Buddha, Chaukhtatkyee Pagoda was built in 1907 but it suffered damage due to the climate over the years and at 72 m is nearly as large as Bago's reclining Shwethalyaung. It is housed under a metal-roofed shelter on Shwegondaing Lan in Yangon.
Nga Htat Kyee Pagoda
Nga Htat Kyee Buddha image is a second largest seating buddha images in Yangon. Its located at most ancient buddhist place very close( opposite site )to Chauk Htat Kyee reclining buddha image.
Bogyoke Market ( Scott Market )
It is the second-most visited destination in Yangon by foreign tourists. Over 2000 shops sell numerous items : bags, tapestries, rattan, herbal medicines, traditional costumes of ethnic tribes, antiques Enearly any items can be found somewhere in the market. It is a treasure trove for handmade crafts. One of the best buys is the original works of Myanmar artists. World renown Myanmar rubies and quality sapphires are among the most popular items available at the market. If one needs or wants any products, most probably, it can be found at Bogyoke Market.
Around Bago city 50 miles far from Yangon. Just two hours drive. Especially on the way drop to Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda in Mon State.
Shwe Tha Lyaung Buddha Image
The 100 year old Shwe Tha Lyaung is the second largest reclining Buddha in Myanmar. It is 74m long, 21 m high and can be seen at the edge of town.
|Shwemawdaw Pagoda |
Shwemawdaw, in Bago, stands at a height of 114m. It is the most famous great pagoda in Myanmar. Built over 1000 years ago by the Mons, it was originally 23 m high and enshrined 2 hairs of the Buddha. Over the years, the pagoda was rebuilt to increase its size. In 982 and 1385 teeth were added to the relic collection and stupa built to 84 m. It continued to be built and rebuilt until, finally, after destruction by earthquake, Shwemawdaw was built to its present height in 1954. The pagoda is guarded by lions with Buddha statues in their mouths.
Around Pathein, Ayeyarwaddy Division
ShweMokhTaw Pagoda ( Pathein )
Shwemokhtaw Pagoda is situated in Pathein. This pagoda built over two thousand years from now and proud 250 B.C. It has passed over three distinguished Eras under three different titles.The first Era recorded the above named emperor more widely known as Siridammasoka of Pataliputta in India as the first builder of this historic shrine in the year 289 B.E, naming it as “Shweana The year 457 B.E(fresh era after systematic elimination) represented the second Era, when Aloungsithu a wellknown traveller- King of Bagan dynasty, the reiging monarch of Paukkanrama (ancient name for the present day Bagan town on the middle Ayeyarwaddy world- famous for its pagodas and Shrines) raised and enlarged this magnificent stupa renaming it as “Htupayon Samodda Gosa and Ommadanti, the then rulers of Pathein with its thirty one statellites, distinguished themselves as the ruling donors of the Third Era, who made singnificant improvement to the shrine altering the name Htupayon to “Shwe MokhtawEwhich name it carries through with fame up to date.That was in the year 600 B.E.